for any queries please see here.
GLOBALBIRDTREKKERS ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN BIRDING CHAMPIONSHIPS
The annual championships will be divided into 3 contests running over a 4 month period each. At the end of each 4 month contest, the contestant with the highest *bird count will be announced as the winner
In January 2011, the SA Birding Champion 2010 will be announced i.e. the contestant with the highest *bird count for 2010,.
Contest 1: until – 30 April 2010 (closed)
Contest 2: 1 May 2010 – 31 August 2010(closed)
Contest 3: 1 September 2010 – 31December 2010 now open
HOW TO ENTER:
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES:
- All photographs are to be uploaded to a Flickr account. If you are not already familiar with flickr, let us know and we will gladly assist you with opening your account.
- Each photo must be named with the individual contestant number, followed by the number of the photo followed by the species of the bird. Eg 1001.01 wag tail. 1001 being the individual contestant number, 01 being the first photo sent through, and wagtail – the species. So photo 2 will be numbered 1001.02 cape white eye. Etc. The EXIF data is automatically included in the photographs.
- Once the photographs have been uploaded in flickr, e-mail the link as well as the excel data sheet (which is sent to you once you register) to
. Please note that the numbers on the excel data sheet and the number on the photographs you are submitting must correspond.
GBT’s ENVIRONMENT RESPONSIBILITY…
Each photo entered, along with the photographer’s details, bird ID, location and EXIF data will be added to a data bank. Any wildlife organization, research institutes or other interested conservation parties may request this data. Such organizations may e-mail globalbirdtrekkers with a request for the data. GBT will be notifying all wildlife organizations, research institutes or other interested conservation parties they are aware of, of the contest, and therefore data which will be available to them.
RULES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- The Championships will be divided into 3 contests. Each of these will run for the duration of 4 months.
- A winner will be announced at the end of each 4 month period.
- The SA Birding Champion will be announced in January 2011.
- Contestants may take part in any, or all of, the 3 contests throughout the year.
- Registration fee for each of the contests will be R200.
- Contestants will only be issued with a contestant no. once proof of deposit of registration fee has been received.
- The prize will be awarded to the contestant with the highest *bird count for each section as well as to the SA Birding Champion 2010.
- Only photographic evidence of bird sightings will be accepted. The quality of the photos submitted is not important as long as the ID of the bird can be confirmed from that photo.
- Photographs must include EXIF data.
- Each bird photograph must be named with the contestant number, followed by the number of the photo followed by the species of the bird. Eg 1001.01 wag tail. 1001 being the individual contestant number, 01 being the first photo sent through, and wagtail – the species. So photo 2 will be numbered 1001.02 cape white eye. Etc.
- All photos entered are to be loaded up via flickr and the link for those particular photos as well as the excel data sheet pertaining to those photos, is to be emailed to
. No e-mailed photos will be accepted. If you are unsure about opening a flickr account, please let us know and we will gladly assist you.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No late entries will be accepted.
- The winner will be announced on www.globalbirdtrekkers 1 week after closing date of each contest.
- The competition will be opened to South African Citizens only.
- Any queries can be directed to
- All payments are to be made to:
NB: please select a region you are entering for; your bird sigtings will only count if seen in the region you have selected and a winner for each leg will be selected for that region. Regions are: 1-Cape, which inlcudes Western, Eastern and Northen Cape 2-Central region, which includes Kwazulu-Natal the Free State and North West.
- GBT reserves the right to use the images entered into the SA Birding Championships 2010 contest, without payment but credited to the photographer, on the website and for distribution as part of data gathering for environmental organizations, research institutes and other interested conservation parties.
3-Northen region, which includes Mpumalaga,Gauteng and Limpopo.
* “Bird Count” refers to the amount of different bird species recorded by a contestant.
» 6 Comments
at Thursday, 04 February 2010 08:56
Well, now this sounds promising!
at Thursday, 04 February 2010 09:52
good luck to everyone who enters, may you be blessed with hundreds of bird sightings ;-)
at Thursday, 04 February 2010 10:32
and a Very BEEEEG good luck from me!!
happy snapping! :-)))))
at Thursday, 04 February 2010 10:46
at Thursday, 04 February 2010 16:11
looks very good!
Just a shame it's just for SA again! :(
at Friday, 05 February 2010 15:53
Marcell, we had a look at making it a global contest, but by the time we had researched prize transfers across boarders, we decided, for now at least, to launch it for SA only...but who knows what the future holds :-)))!!
» Post Comment
Only registered users can write a comment.
Please login or register.